Swaton St Michael - Last up dated 26th July 2020 at 1.25pm
Our church wardens are Jill and John Abbott (01529 421278).
THERE IS AN INFORMAL SERVICE EACH SUNDAY AT 10AM AT THE BACK OF CHURCH LED BY CANON BEVERLEY. THIS IS BEING HELD DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS.
THE WEARING OF FACE MASKS IS NOW ENCOURAGED, HAND SANITISER IS PROVIDED AND PLEASE REMEMBER TO KEEP 2 METRES APART.
HISTORY OF ST MICHAELS CHURCH
This impressive church dominates the tiny village of Swaton. Inside are two curiosities which add to the appeal of this church. The first is an effigy of a women with a sleeping dog at her feet. For years her identity was in doubt, but local research has established that she was Nicholaa de la Haye, wife of Gerald de Camville, who was lord of the Manor at Swaton early in the 13th century. Her father, and later her husband, were both constables at Lincoln Castle, and when Gerald died in 1214 Nicholaa kept the guardianship of the castle and defended it for King John (c.1167-1216). She met the King in 1216, retired in 1226 and died in her sixties in 1230.
The second oddity is what remains of a medieval Wheel of Life painted on one wall. Such paintings are rare survivors; the only two still in good condition are in Gloustestershire and Northamptonshire. Local legend has it that Oliver Cromwell stabled his horses in St Michael's before the battle on Swaton Common during the English Civil War.
Also legendary are the sunsets which can be seen through the traceried west window which looks onto the main road through Swaton village.